Friday, May 26, 2006

I am ready to compete!

Matthew Yglesias challenges econ profs to put their money where their mouth is on the immigration issue:
I'll believe that this is all about altruism when I see an open letter from economists demanding that we scrap the complicated H1B visa system and instead allow unrestricted immigration of foreign college professors.
Brad DeLong responds:
I'll pick up the gauntlet: I hereby call on all governments to allow free mobility of university professors. All universities and other institutions of higher education should be allowed to hire whoever they want to reside, teach, and do research at their universities, without let or hindrance by any government whatsoever.
I agree with Brad. Bring 'em on!

Update: Jeff Miron also agrees. We have a good start to that open letter.